Saturday, June 27, 2009

Will the Real Clayton and Andre Please Stand Up?




WOW. WHAT A GAME LAST NIGHT!! Last night was one of those days that you are proud to be a baseball fan. Last night was one of those games that you wish a "nonbeliever" was with you. You know, the ones that say baseball is boring and they just can't understand why the heck anyone would want to watch a game? Last night is exactly why. I enjoy baseball (specifically the Dodgers) in any form I can get it. Now, I'd love to travel with the team and go to all the games, but that's just not possible so I watch it on television. Sometimes, I'm not home to watch the game on t.v. so I'll read about it, tivo it, or find the highlights. But, last night, was one of those times you remember that you can't actually beat being AT the stadium. The infectious crowd, the jumping up from my seat, the dodger dog, the cotton candy. I'm still living off my high of last nights game, and hoping going to tonights will provide just as much fun.
I regret my last postings of Ethier and how he just doesnt seem to be the guy he once was at the moment. Maybe he read my blog. Maybe he wanted to show me that he didn't need Manny back to get him swinging again. I apologize Andre and you sure showed me. 3 homeruns...in ONE game. His assault started in the 2nd inning and he produced everytime he came up to the plate. Jason Vargas gave Ethier an offering that he couldnt refuse. Each time, there was no doubt to me or the fans that it was outta there. That's how deep his home runs were. Whew. Wow. This puts another chip on the shoulder of good ole Joe when Manny returns next week. Dodger fans have been waiting a long time for a ball club like this. Even though Im not always his biggest fan, I'm going to give some credit here to Ned Colletti. Let's not forget "we" traded Milton Bradley to the A's for Ethier a couple seasons back. That was a GREAT trade move and at that point Ethier wasn't nothing more than a top prospect. We all know how that can go sometimes. And the other all star of the night....
Clayton Kershaw!! Man, Clayton, where have you been all my life? You keep throwing like that, kid, and you're going to solidify the #3 spot on the rotation come the playoffs. I think that his durability is even better than Wolf's for the moment. I'm going to say that I think Sunday's outing when Kershaw had to get himself out of the jam really made him grow up and realize the confidence and potential that he had. He now knows that he'll be able to buck up and get himself out of it. He is stronger now and it shows. We all know Clayton likes to throw a good fastball to get through the lineup but this new Clayton wasn't afraid to change up his pitches last night...and he did it early. He retired the side in the 3rd perfect inning of the game last night. Kershaw's ability was never up for dispute, it was his ability to be consistent and locate the pitches in a different way that he struggled with. It's great to see that he is beginning to do that. Clayton has a long career ahead of him and we have him for, what, the next 4 seasons under contract? This is a razzamataz group of players with great chemistry and great heart, I'm just proud to be a fan and watch them take on baseball. I'm going to miss the interleague play....I kind of like it :) well, let's see what Milton does for us tonight comin off the D.L. Cross your fingers but, unlike Grady Little, we know that Torre will do the managing....and I'll also be general managing from my seat at Dodger Stadium ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment