Wednesday, June 24, 2009

It's Manny's World..We just live in it

Just call him the atom smasher. Ok. Well. maybe the atom crasher after his performance today with the Isotopes (my favorite name, ever...does that make me a geek?) but it does seem as though Manny is running the show. I mean, with good reason I suppose. He is getting paid about a bazillion dollars (what I make in a year EVERY time he comes up to the plate) and the man can swing a bat. I like to think of Manny like a stubborn teenager where the more you push him and give him grief, the less he wants to do for you. No, Manny likes to be in control. And so some semblance of control is what we give him.

    Manny played 4 innings today with the Triple A-squad. He was the leadoff batter. Leadoff batter. Ha. I bet he's never seen that spot in the lineup. My best bet is that he wanted the extra at-bat that the leadoff hitter gets. For this, I think it is a good idea. Clearly Manny was a little rusty today, not being able to make contact with the ball coming at him at 94mph. I can't blame the guy. I'm still impressed anyone can ever hit anything that small coming at them that fast. I just hope Manny doesnt get embarrassed or think he's good enough to just walk up on July 3rd and not play too many more games. I think itd be best for him to get some more action in the Inland Empire (ok, a little bit because I want to go to Monday's game) so that he cant get back into the mindset of the game.
  I know, I know he's been working out blah blah blah but you can work out everyday and pretend your fine, do some practice on your own but there is a HUGE difference to that and actually being in the game. Looking at pitches, swinging the bat swiftly, the whole package of the sport I love. Even if Manny just came in to be a designated hitter, he would be getting experience at the plate that he hasn't had in 50 games. 50 GAMES!! That's a lifetime to a ball club, and especially to a player that is getting old for the game. Let's not forget Manny's old hamstrings. They were giving him trouble BEFORE he left, hopefully the break gave them a chance to get better too. That is NOT what we need. Manny to come back from suspension and go on the D.L. Although we know Pierre is thinking it....maybe. a little bit :) Does it REALLY matter what kind of numbers Manny puts up while he's back down on the farm? No, not really. But it DOES matter that he takes the time to really feel comfortable because when he graces us with his presence again....THOSE numbers...they matter.

  

   

No comments:

Post a Comment