Saturday, June 20, 2009

O brother, where art thou?

Not since 2002 has the Major Leagues seen a matchup between brothers. I'll be honest and say when the game started, I was apprehensive as to which Weaver was going to show up for the Dodgers. Clearly, Jeff. But which Jeff? The settled down low and away pitcher or the high ball pitcher giving up too many runs too early. Let's be clear, Jeff Weaver really blew his starter status years ago but found his groove somewhere in the middle as a swingman. This year has really been a rebirth or resurrection for Jeff and today was no exception. The elder brother who is now 4-1 only allows 2 runs and 6 hits in his almost 6 innings. Not too shabby and it got the job done.
Although we should credit Weaver's pitching prowess this evening, it was Torre's managing, Martin coming (hopefully) out of his slump, and some great offensive (Ethier, Blake) and defensive (hello, Kemp!) plays that turned this into a win.
On a side note, I am highly impressed with Torre's managing of my men in blue. I know I know, his 28 years of experience should really have prepared me for this awesomeness but I am still shell shocked from Grady Little and last year falling short of my hopes and dreams that I am cautious. Last year, Torre was clearly just getting to know his ball club and this year he is really taking them to a new level. It was shown even tonight when Weaver in the top of the 6th, allowed an immediate triple, Torre pulled him and put in Belisario. This is what I like to call a game changing move. It was the right one. Way to go Joe. You deserve your Bigelow Tea tonight.
Way to go Weaver brothers. You both pitched a game to be proud of. Scioscia and the Angels are a tough ball club to beat, but in true Dodger fashion, we pulled it together late in the game. Still the best team in the division, in the league, and in baseball. Oh yeah. I'm saving for October!

No comments:

Post a Comment