Sunday, July 5, 2009

Oh What a Tangled Web We Weave

Am I in some sort of weird parallel universe? or did Jonathan Broxton actually give up 5 runs to catapult us into extra innings today? Did Jeff Weaver actually come out and SAVE the day? and did Billingsley REALLY not get his 10th win after almost pitching a complete game? I'm not a half empty type of girl, so I don't really care HOW my boys won today, they won. BUT I would have (and I'm sure they would have too) preferred a simple game, a simple flight, and a ready to sweep the Mets attitude. Something I know: we don't need to keep stress levels high with all these close games.





Joe Torre, a question for you (and you know I love you). You leave Bills in almost the ENTIRE game...going into the 9th inning I think he only had about 90 pitches. You decided to bring in Big John....for this I'm still wondering because it, at this point, was not a save position. You bring in Broxton at the first sign that Billingsley is showing signs of getting tired, but then you let Broxton get behind in the count and load up the bases (more than once) before you pull him out. You didn't even pull him out, over running third base, Kemp's arm, and Blake's tag got Broxton out of the innning. What was the reasoning behind this? I know Troncoso had been used a lot recently so he couldn't come in but when Big John goes 3-0 he clearly doesn't have his stuff. Next time let's pull him out and get ir done in 9, ok?



Weaver, wow aren't we relieved (haha) to have him in our bull pen this year. Well, at least the Weaver that has been making appearances lately. He is a long reliever and we can really thank him for helping the shakey bull pen tonight. After 3 other relievers and the game changing Veneable pop up, Loney and Weaver should be given the bulk of the credit for the win.



Today was true Dodger baseball and showcased what an incredible team we really do have on our hands. Most teams when they blow their huge lead in the 9th inning also blow their momentum and their mind loses focus on the game. Not our boys. Oh no. They are never finished until they game is truly over. A win is a win no matter how you slice it. Petco park is supposedly a "pitcher's park" where homeruns are hard to come by. Our boys in blue knocked it out of the park 4 times tonight alone.





It will be interesting to see Mannymania when he heads to New Yawk. The fans there are going to be nothing like what the Dodgers saw at Petco Park. To his credit, I think Manny did a great job diffusing the media on his first appearance when he held press conferences and talked about his stamina and his joy with being able to play again. Clearly we're not going to get any answers from him. Now, I'm not saying that I agree with anything he did, but I am proud of how he unlike many other (ahem, Barry Bonds) didn't deny it. He took his punishment, served it, and now he's back. Besides, roids don't enhance half of the things that make Manny a great player. Back off you haters. I really am crossing my fingers that Manny won't be headed to the D.L. anytime soon for his hammy's. Although, to be honest, it is really nice to see Blake Dewitt back on the roster. I like that kid. a lot. I think the threat of Manny is good enough now and, really, we just want to make sure he's in top shape for October baseball. This hasn't been the smoothest year in regards to practice and playing for him.



Thank goodness for a day off. We've got some tough ball clubs to beat in front of us. The Mets haven't been doing as well lately, but that doesn't mean they're going to be easy to beat. And let's be honest, if the bull pen that showed up tonight shows up with the Mets.....well.....I'll let you finish the thought.



As long as this parallel universe in which Billingsley gets a no-decision (his 4th of his last 4 outings) after pitching a 9 inning 2 hitter, Broxton blows a lead, Weaver saves the day, and Matt Kemp isn't an all star yet continues with the Dodgers WINNING...I'm ok with it.



Oh and, for those of you keeping tabs.......Billingsley and Martin are now TIED for homeruns....with both having ONE!! :) Parallel Universe I'm telling you...Parallel.

No comments:

Post a Comment